Monday, October 18, 2010

it's been a while

I use to blog everyday, but became addicted to my own words. (the common sin of most bloggers) So I took some time off. I went over a year without blogging and then started this blog up. But then I only blogged on this blog a few times and invited a few others to post as well. All of that to say, I feel like blogging again, but no promises on how often or if it will even be worth reading.

I had a chance to "go to church" yesterday. By that I mean I didn't preach. I don't really believe that any of us ever go to church because we are the church. However, this "go to church" language is used by many people. Anyway, It was real refreshing not to preach, not to think about it all week and to be able to sit with my wife. But how quick my heart wonders to making it about me, my comfort, my passions, my convenience. Now don't get me wrong, it's good that I don't preach every week, good for them and for me... but this week I found myself wondering what it must be like to decide if I wanted to "go to church". I found myself sitting there asking things like, "do I agree with that", or "maybe he could have said that differently"... and then the Holy Spirit hit me upside the head and said, "stop". "Stop making this about you, your thoughts, your ideas...It's about me and My Glory. It's about your need for Me and the beautiful picture of how the Gospel meets your need..." Now as all of this was going on in my head I was also being convicted of sin in my life and places that I didn't believe the Gospel... God was using Alan (a terrific communicator and pastor) to translate the Word into my heart. But I guess what I am saying is wow, how fast I can slip into making this all about me. The title of this blog is "me church" and it's intent is to post reminders that this is not about me, but about Jesus. So maybe God allowed me to have a week off and just be so he could remind me that my heart is prone to make it about me. Maybe he called me to preach in part to deliver me from thinking I could do it better than some other pastor. Maybe, each week when I faced with the hard reality of communicating God's word...God is all the while purifying me and saving me from myself.
But the exciting part of yesterday was feeling a part of something! I felt a part of a body of Believers, on the Mission of Jesus in Boise and around the world. It was incredible to partake, and a joy to join. I pray that each week I will be reminded of the beauty of the church and the honor it is to gather in public for the sake of our King! May God continue to refine me and redeem me and show me the honor it is to be called HIS church.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to get inside your head! Thanks for posting, miss your regular posts. Praying for Boise and the Church this morning. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete